Friday, May 04, 2007

The Search For My Grandmothers Chair - Gloddaeth Woods



Sometime ago now, I found in a charity shop a small red guide book produced by Ward Lock & Co. about Llandudno & North Wales. Being a local, albeit one that has moved into the area I turned straight to the Llandudno pages and this caught my eye :

Short Walks

"My Grandmother's Chair."

A seat formed of large flat stones a few hundred yards to the north of Gloddaeth Woods. Follow the shore road past the Hydro until Nant-y-Gamar Road is reached, and then the route lies along that.

To reach the seat from Gloddaeth Woods, make for an old mill on the hill, bear to the left round the wood until a farmhouse comes into sight on the road below, and then walk to the right. The stones will be found on the slope of the hill.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a member of Old Llandudno Enthusiasts and posted a message on there to see if anyone knew exactly where this was as when I walked up there the first time, I could'nt find it for love nor money and Nant-Y-Gamar Road nearly killed me lol. Bear in mind that this book was produced in 1934-5 so I had no idea if MGC even (My Grandmother's Chair ) existed anymore. The hunt was on !!!

After a few suggestions by forum members, it was decided that a walk was in order to find it and was duly arranged, only to find that My Grandmother's Chair remained a secret, although we had lots of ideas as to what had happend to it ie:- worn away by the weather, removed by a local for patching up walls, buildings etc or even overgrown by gorse or woods. Because it was a beautiful day and also as it was the first time we had met Craig Ollerton who runs Olle we spent most of the time chatting and completely forgot to take photos.

About a week later I decided to re-do the walk again, but with my OH,one digi camera (as I forgot to take it the first & second time) and also my two dogs in tow.

The weather was beautiful (yet again !) and the scene was set, both myself and my partner just had this feeling that it was STILL there... Somewhere.... lol

As I've rambled on a bit here :o) I'll type up the route we took on a new blog post.

No comments: